Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Friday 3 November 2017

PRIMED and READY

Although I have not painted any figures for a while I was able to set aside some time to clear the flash and undercoat about 150 castings. I really do hate doing this, but it has to be done, and it clears the deck for when I do pick up the brush, in addition to the freedom to choose the unit I would like to complete. Recent arrivals, and largely flash free were some superb Crann Tara dismounted hussars. Must now decide which units will they represent.
MGB


2 comments:

  1. It's a chore isn't it? However, as you say, it does make a painting session easier when you feel the painting feeling coming on.
    Those Hussars look very detailed with lots of Hussar type bits sculptured onto them. Hussars are always a challenge to paint. Good luck.
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the support CB. The prep work has helped, having failed to put anything up on my other war-games blog during October, have spent this weekend painting two foot units for my renaissance Muscovites. But I am then going to start work reorganising my FRW Allied cavalry. It really needs it now the French cavalry can muster over 80 horse, and others half complete.
      Those dismounted hussars will be exciting to work on, divided up between the French and Allied armies.
      Michael

      Delete