Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Saturday 14 January 2017

Street lamps for my Georgian Town

Just a brief entry. Picked up these two brass street lamps in a charity shop for 75p. Possibly a little large but when they are painted up, I think they will look great in my Georgian town.
MGB
UPDATE
And here is a second photo, both street lamps have really painted up nicely. MGB



6 comments:

  1. great find.

    these maybe useful ?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Courtyard-Street-Railway-Lamppost/dp/B01LL5K6YW/ref=lp_364180031_1_21?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1484402739&sr=1-21

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allan, thank you for the link. What caught my eye with these is they are heavy metal, and cost so little. Have just undercoated them, scale wise they are perfect for 28-30mm castings. I would like to get a few more, at a good price, but their weight is what really impressed me. Next issue is painting them. Georgian ironwork is typically grey or gun metal painted, but I like the 19th century black and gold, might cheat a bit. Still got a load of metal farm railings in a larger scale which would serve as Palace railings in 25mm.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe we all keep an eye open for bits and pieces like this when visiting car boot sales or the bits & pieces area of certain stores. I am convinced that wargamers and modellers "see things differently". The lanterns look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I certainly rush to view charity shops etc, you really don't know what you might find.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Great job, most impressive street view!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't mind a few more lampposts, sturdy and heavy, I'm less likely to break them, cheers Phil.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete